Lots of time spent on writing projects this week, and I’m pleased with my progress overall, but it mostly felt like wading through mud at the time.
I started the week with renewed focus, and a writing date with Ann at The Counter at The Delaunay.
Then I put together a plan for my next insane fanfic combo challenge – new GYWO Yahtzee card, Sentinel Bingo card, and unfilled Fic Promptly prompts – should be fun, though it’s been a while since I’ve attempted Sentinel stories.
I stayed with the fanfic vibe by typing up all my WIP Big Bang notes, putting together a rough outline on paper, and writing the first scene (since technically you have to have at least 500 words written to sign up, and I didn’t at the time). There’s a lot of excitement in my brain around this project at the moment, so I’ll need to be careful that it doesn’t derail me too much from Artisan.
I finished off by writing a blog post about the importance of giving yourself space to think.
I met up with Hannah after work and really struggled to find any focus, so we chatted for a bit about point of view, and then buckled down to some work.
I managed quite a few more words on my WIP Big Bang story, though it felt pretty turgid.
I did some research and made notes for this month’s GYWO discussion post.
I finished off by reading some more of Bird by Bird.
I did a random writing prompt.
Then the WIP Big Bang story started writing itself in my head, so I did another section of that, to make sure I didn’t lose the thread.
I spent most of the day thinking about Ready Player One, composing notes on my reaction to it, and collecting and reading other people’s views on it.
Today was a day of annoying admin. I made a few submissions and added a couple of short pieces to my website.
I got up early and took myself to Mughead in New Cross, which turned out to be a perfectly good place for a solo writing date.
I started out by writing my Ready Player One review, which was pretty hard and took a long time.
Then I finally started the actual copy-editing on Artisan, focusing on the first three chapters. I found my list of editing points and colour-coded them, then went through the first chapter backwards, marking up the hard copy with proposed edits in the relevant colour pen. I ticked off the colours on the front page as I went, to keep track of what I had and hadn’t checked.
I went back to the WIP Big Bang story for a bit, then called it a day.